Our Family

Our Family
Our Family

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sick baby and a car ride

So our little munchkin has thrush. For those of you who have never heard of such a thing, I don't really understand it either, but it has something to do with a yeast infection in his mouth. All of this loveliness means that with nursing it passes from him to me and makes nursing extremely painful. Not quite as painful as when he was first born - not painful enough to cry - but painful nonetheless. The best way to get rid of it is to use this stuff called Gentian Violet which you coat his mouth with using a q-tip. Needless to say, having a new taste like that in his mouth is a big deal since he has only tasted milk his whole life. And it stains. Everything. I had to have him wear old, grungy onesies for a while since he would always stain them. The worst part though is that it stains his face. In addition to putting the medicine on him, I have to put it on myself as well which, in turn, put it all over his cheeks also. We were calling him the purple people eater for a while. I stopped using the medicine yesterday and the stain on his cheeks is almost gone but the stain on his lips still lingers. Poor guy. He doesn't even know it.

And I have a few errands to run today. I always dread this because Luke loves being in the car as long as it is moving. As soon as I slow down or have to stop at a light, he freaks out. And he doesn't really like pacifiers. And when he does take one he always seems to push it out of his mouth which makes him freak out. So wish me luck my friends. This morning he only let out a few yells when I was showering, maybe he will sleep the whole time we are out on our adventure.

I could only wish.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck with the errand running! i'm glad to hear he is no longer a purple people eater! so we definitely need to get this whole graduation party thing planned seeing that you have already graduated and i'm graduating tomorrow!!! i'll call you and we'll figure something out!

Jennifer said...

Shaeffer had the same thing. I thought it was awesome, and I think every kid should get to have a purple mouth for awhile. I miss you too!

acandiedapple said...

I wish I had magical advice for you. But I don't. Now that Calder is older (6 months) I have a special toy that he loves that he only gets in the car. That helps. I started that around 4 months.

Halley said...

The nice thing Brienne, is that everything is a phase. That is some advice given to me that has helped me deal with being patient with the little guy's "needs". I know it seems like forever, but it WILL pass. I promise. :-) You are a great Mommy! Give me a call, we need to catch up.

Monica said...

Ah, the things I have to look forward to sometime soon...hope you survived your car ride!