Our Family

Our Family
Our Family

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Luke and the Doctor

Today we had Luke's 3rd year checkup at the doctor's. Now I figured that it would be a battle to get him to go and a battle to convince him to let the doctor check him - and oh what a battle it was. But the battle was short and I was the one that stepped back. There was no screaming or fighting from Luke. All he said was "I can't" when the nurse tried to check his heart rate and blood pressure. She put the little doo-dad on her finger, I put it on mine and we even put it on Wesley but Luke wouldn't have any of it. He crossed his arms behind his back and said, "I can't". There I was with Luke and Wesley on my lap. Wesley was grabbing at my hair and clothes because he wanted to be fed and Luke was refusing to cooperate with the nurse. I laughed, turned to the nurse and asked, "Do we have to do this?" She said, "Umm...I guess not." And I said, "Okay. Let's not then."

So we ventured over to the scale and height thing and it was the same story. "I can't." We ended up weighing me holding him and me without him. We then went into the room and had his vision test. Woohoo! He loved that game.

But why am I telling you this? Well, while he was thoroughly enjoying his vision test/game I was watching the little munchkin boy. I was proud of him. I thought, "way to go Luke! Way to not let somebody violate you or your body when it makes you uncomfortable!"

He is a fighter. He wouldn't even let the doctor check his ears when I told him that Toothless the dragon was in it. Fighter. And I was so proud of him. He knows when he feels safe and comfortable and when he doesn't. I'm not about to step over those bounds and force him to give up his power.

Way to go Luke.

We went home and played with bubbles.

1 comment:

WoozleMom said...

Way to go, Luke!

And way to go, Mama! That's awesome that you didn't make him when he didn't want to, and I'm glad they didn't try to force you to.